White Willow Bark = Herbal Aspirin

White Willow Bark
This morning I was choosing herbs to use to make a tea for my husband, and after pulling out Lemonbalm, Hops Flowers, and Peppermint, the jar with White Willow Bark caught my attention.

I have not used this herb in years and it was tucked away behind other jars, but my intuition told me to put this in the tea also.

My husband has a very physical job and has literally been working around the clock for many weeks now and his muscles, bones, and nerves are in extreme pain.

I made him the tea and went about my day.

Early this evening he told me that he was feeling much better and asked if I thought the tea might have helped him.

This prompted me to look up White Willow Bark to see what it was good for.

I was amazed at what I found!!

Intuition served me well, and White Willow Bark was exactly what he needed.

Here is the information I found along with the benefits:
  • The bark of White Willow contains salicin, which is a chemical similar to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).
  • In combination with the herb's powerful anti-inflammatory plant compounds (called flavonoids), salicin is thought to be responsible for the pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory effects of the herb.
  • The use of White Willow Bark dates back to Hippocrates (400 B.C.), when people were advised to chew on the bark to reduce fever and inflammation.
  • It is especially good for low back pain and osteoarthritis
  • Also good for:
    • Headache
    • Fever
    • Menstrual cramps
    • Flu
    • Tendonitis
    • Bursitis
    • Cancer
(Most of the above information was found on the University of Maryland Medical Center's website: http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/willow-bark)

Here is the exact tea recipe that I used:

1 tsp of each herb:
          White Willow Bark
          Peppermint
          Lemonbalm
          Hops Flowers

Infuse in 32 ozs. water
Drink 1-3 cups per day

I use the Breville One-Touch Tea Maker and it is wonderful!!
It heats the water quickly, you can program temperature and steeping time, and the basket holds loose leaf teas and herbs so you can make your own concoctions.

I hope you find this herb to be as beneficial as we have! 
I will definitely be using it more often :-)

To Learn More about Holistic Health, please visit our sites:


Disclaimer:
Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your treating doctor. Mills Healthy Energy does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Mills Healthy Energy are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician. This blog site contains links to Web sites operated by other parties. Such links are provided for your convenience and reference only. We are not responsible for the content or products of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. Mills Healthy Energy does not adopt any medical claims which may have been made in 3rd party references. 




Comments

Popular Posts